Admission to Ph.D and M.S. (Research) (2017 – 2018)
(Admission is open throughout the academic year from July 2017 to June 2018.)
The academic activities at IIT Palakkad were formally launched in August 2015. The Institute is currently functioning from its temporary campus in the premises of Ahalia Integrated Campus, Kozhipara, Palakkad. A permanent campus will be set up in approximately 500 acres of land adjoining the Sahya mountain range, in the Pudussery village of Palakkad district.
Applications are invited for admission to the M.S. (Research) and Ph.D. programmes starting in July, 2017, as per details given below:
Research Areas and Facilities Available/Planned
Chemistry. Biophysical chemistry and molecular dynamics simulations, Mechanochemistry, Equilibrium and non-equilibrium statistical mechanics of soft matter, Structure and dynamics of polymers / macromolecules.
Facilities. A decent system consisting of 64 computing nodes has been set up and the high performance computer cluster of the Institute.
Civil Engineering. Structural engineering: Buckling and post buckling of open sections, cold formed steel structural members, reinforced and prestressed concrete.
Geotechnical Engineering: Foundation engineering, strength and deformation behavior of soil.
The research oriented lab facilities listed below (but not limited to) will be procured/developed within one year:
Structural Engineering: 100kN &1000kN Servo hydraulic UTM, Actuators (250kN, 500kN and 1000kN) and 2D & 3D testing frames.
Geotechnical Engineering: Servo controlled monotonic/cyclic triaxial testing system, consolidation test apparatus and Flexible wall permeability apparatus.
General computational facilities: Various analysis and design software, and Finite Element Method software
General workshop: Lathe, milling, grinding and drilling machines, welding, power tools etc.
Computer Science & Engineering. Theoretical Computer Science: Algorithms, Graph Theory, Combinatorics.
Electrical Engineering. Semiconductor device modelling, Computational nano electronics, Microwave Engineering, Microwave Remote Sensing and Power Electronics.
Facilities. High performance computing cluster of the Institute. High frequency microwave testing lab is planned.
Mechanical Engineering. Thermo-fluid modelling, Fluid dynamics, heat transfer, fluid-solid interaction, biophysical and aero/hydrodynamics.
Facilities. Optical diagnostic tools for flow visualisation, particle image velocimetry and high speed imaging, along with flow/pressure measurements are planned.
Mathematics. Functional Analysis and Differential Equations.
Physics. Quantum information theory, Non Equilibrium quantum systems, Physics of soft materials: Theory and simulations, Plasmonic systems: Experiments and Numerical simulations.
Research opportunities include strong exposure to high performance computing platforms, numerical simulations using Mathematica, Matlab, and COMSOL Multiphysics, working with sophisticated experimental facilities such as UHV thin film deposition system, hydrocarbon free RF/DC sputter systems, experimental arrangement to map dispersion characteristics of plasmons using Photon tunnelling and facility for measurements at temperatures down to 1.5 K.
Admissions will be offered under the following categories:
Candidates will be admitted to the Ph.D. programme of the Institute under one of the following categories:
- Regular full-time scholars.
- Research scholars who are staff members [regular or project staff] of the institute registering for a degree on a part time basis.
- Research scholars under the external registration programme, sponsored by and employed in an industry/organisation/national laboratories having R&D facilities and recognised by DST or by IIT Palakkad.
Eligibility:Ph.D. in Engineering
- Candidates with a Master’s degree in Engineering/Technology or a Master’s degree by Research in Engineering/Technology with a good academic record.
- Candidates with Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and of exceptional merit are eligible for the relevant Engineering discipline. They should have a valid GATE score or UGC/CSIR-NET/NBHM or equivalent qualification in the relevant area tenable for the year of registration.
- Candidates who have qualified for the award of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology from a Centrally Funded Technical Institute (CFTI) with an exceptionally good academic record in an eligible discipline will be considered for direct admission to Ph.D. provided he/she has a minimum CGPA of 8/10 (7.5 for OBC- NCL and 7.0 for SC/ST/PwD on a 10 point scale).
Eligibility:Ph.D. in Sciences
- Master’s degree in Sciences with a good academic record and having a valid GATE score or UGC/CSIR-NET/NBHM or equivalent qualification tenable for the current year in the relevant area. Master’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology are also eligible.
- Candidates who have qualified for the award of Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology from a Centrally Funded Technical Institute (CFTI) with an exceptionally good academic record in an eligible discipline will be considered for direct admission to Ph.D. in Sciences provided he/she has a minimum CGPA of 8/10 (7.5 for OBC- NCL and 7.0 for SC/ST/PwD on a 10.0 point scale).
Eligibility: M.S. by Research
- Candidates with a Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Technology/Master’s degree in Science with valid GATE score.
- Candidates having Associate Membership of the following professional bodies are also eligible for admission to the M.S. programme of their parent discipline provided they have a valid GATE score and have passed both part A and part B of the Membership examinations with a good academic record. (The Institution of Engineers (India) (Civil, Mechanical, Electrical and Electronics, Electronics and communications), The Aeronautical society of India, The Indian Institute of Metals, The Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers, The Institute of Electronics and Tele-communication Engineering and other professional bodies approved by the Senate from time to time.
- Engineering graduates from IITs and other Centrally Funded Technical Institutes (CFTI) with a CGPA of at least 8/10 (7.5/10 for OBC-NCL and 7/10 for SC/ST/PwD) are eligible for seeking admission, without GATE score, to the MS Programme and they can be offered HTRA, if selected.
Institute Staff Members or Research Scholars under External Registration.
For M.S./Ph.D. Research Scholars in these categories, the minimum educational qualifications are the same as prescribed for full time research scholars. However, GATE score or UGC/CSIR-NET/NBHM or equivalent qualification as applicable for regular full time research scholars shall not be required in these cases.
- Candidates who expect to complete all the requirements of their degree before July 17, 2017 also can apply.
- Shortlisted candidates, will have to appear for an interview and/or a written test.
- Reservations for SC/ST/OBC-NCL/PwD shall apply as per GOI rules.
- Financial Assistance is available (HTRA) as per MHRD or other funding agency norms.
- More details may be found in the Information Brochure.
- Applicants should apply through the online portal only
- The last date for submission of applications is .
- The admissions shall be governed by regulations given at IIT Palakkad website.
- No queries will be entertained.